Thursday, December 1, 2011

Seasons

It occurs to me that our planet really only has two seasons, winter and summer. The other two serve as intermediaries. But what glorious transitions they provide!
This year, an Indian summer allowed us to hold on a bit longer to our yearly tryst with the sun. Soon, though, the warmth gave out to the first frost and the trees decked themselves in their red-golden finery before shutting down to hibernate.
During this period, the leaves rain down with every gust of wind until the ground wears more color than the trees. Out come the rakes and trash bags. On every residential street, townspeople gather up leaves while children bounce in the piles and send them scattering.
Finally, when bare maple branches resemble dark lace pressed against gray skies, winter whispers, “I am coming soon.” Now and then, a light snowfall reminds and prepares us for the next event. Plant life goes dormant in various ways. The trees, of course have lost their leaves. They will sleep while storing energy for spring renewal. Other plants shift from rich green to pale, and some simply die.
We humans undergo our own transitions during this seasonal shift. We pack away our light summer clothes and bring out the heavy duty cold stoppers. Hearty soups and stews simmer on our stoves. Appetites begin craving rich comfort foods to warm up the insides. Meanwhile, brisk weather quickens the blood, and our adaptable bodies prepare to withstand frigid winter temperatures.
Autumn snows also remind us to change our walking patterns to avoid slipping, something that I often forget. This morning, I took my daily walk while rhapsodizing about nature’s wonders. Lost in thoughts, I paid no attention to the frosty sidewalk ahead. Before I could stop myself, I hit the ground and felt sharp pain. After properly cursing and shaking my fist at "Mother Nature”, I began crossing off the days until next summer. Only 180 days and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment