Saturday, November 3, 2012

Save the Universe Inc. Chapter One



A familiar voice whispered from beyond the mist, “Lucy, we’re waiting.  Where are you?”  In spite of all caution, I walked toward the voice.  I felt compelled to find its source.  As I grew closer, a sharp yank pulled me away.
      “Lucinda Washington, are you daydreaming again?  Girl, get your lazy butt over here and help us carry trays to the truck!  Don’t you roll your eyes at me!  You’re supposed to be helping, and you know we’re on a tight schedule.  I swear!  Sometimes that girl is more of a nuisance than a help!”
      I kicked a table leg while Mama shot me a frown.  I helped out a lot and she knew it!  Why, I wondered, wouldn’t they all just leave me alone? “Yeah, yeah”, I grumbled “I’m working, but I don’t know why I have to be a slave around here!” 
      I meant to keep that remark under my breath, but I guess I didn’t.
      “What did you say girl?” Aunt Tessa shouted.
      “Nothing, Auntie.”
      “It had better be nothing!”
      I saw Mama shake her head.
      Around me I heard the noise of bustling; clattering trays, Auntie’s shouted orders, the hurried clicking of feet and of course, gleeful laughter from the brats, my twin cousins.  I began hauling heavy trays of food from the kitchen to the company truck in the driveway.  I wanted to voice more of my objections to everyone, but one look at Mama told me to keep my mouth shut.  I knew better than to cause trouble.
      In the kitchen Auntie Tess’s voice kept me focused on the task at hand.  Her shouts reminded
 me of a coxswain on a rowing team.  She kept the pace moving forward with her sharp calls. “Hove this.  Take that.  Be careful with the desserts. Hustle, hustle hustle!”
      As I worked, I glared at my twin cousins, Todd and Jeffry, who were playing catch with napkins in the dining room.  Why didn’t they get in trouble?   My family expected me to work hard; no complaining and no praise given, but not those “precious” boys.  The Brats were six and a half years old, too young to help according to my aunt.  I knew they could have helped if only someone made them do it, the little demons!
During one trip outside, Todd stuck out his foot just as I was passing.  I’m sure he did it on purpose, but no else besides Jeffry saw him. 
I did a great imitation of a tightrope walker trying to keep from falling. 
      “Lucy!  What are you doing?” shouted my aunt who saw me trying to prevent the tray from dropping.   “Please pay attention to what you’re doing, and be more careful.  A lot of time and money went into that food!”  I just nodded and saw from the corner of my eye that Mama was rolling her eyes.
      Meanwhile, Jeff and Todd fell over with laughter in the dining room.  It’s interesting that no one but me ever noticed their awful pranks.  “One day”, I thought, “I’ll get even with them!”  Conjuring up tortures to inflict on them gave me a source of amusement. I envisioned slimy ropes binding my little cousins as I placed spitting toads and poisonous snakes on their helpless bodies.  My private fantasy so tickled me I almost didn’t hear Jeffry, one of the twins, shout as if in pain.   When Auntie Tess asked what happened he simply replied, “Nothing,” but I noticed that both Jeffry and Todd stared at me wide eyed.  I glared back and continued working.
It was November; a busy time for Aunt Tess’s catering business what with the beginning of holiday parties and all.  Aunt Tessa needed all the help she could get to meet her deadlines.  That’s why the family had to assist the hired help.  Uncle Joe, a traveling salesman, spent too much time on the road to help Auntie with her business or with the boys.  So, when Mama and I came to live with them, we helped my aunt as much as she helped us.  I didn’t always mind, but I wished we didn’t always need to be at her beck and call.
Lately, I had been spending a lot of time in my own thoughts and day dreams.  I knew this worried Mama.  I eavesdropped as she discussed her concerns with Auntie Tess and Uncle Joe.  Why couldn’t she mind her own business I asked myself?  I knew she meant well, but she always shared my personal life with the rest of the world.  Besides, daydreaming never hurt anyone.  Nothing much in the real world interested me anyway.  Hurricane Katrina left Mama and me homeless and cost my beloved Granny her life.  My aunt’s and uncle’s generosity was all that kept us from living in the streets.  If only they didn’t need to remind me of that so often!  Who wouldn’t want to run away from my troubles? 
When the truck was finally loaded, Mama went with Auntie and the hired help to serve the food at some party in town.  I finally had time to myself.  Of course, I needed to keep an eye on Jeffry and Todd, but I saw them engrossed in a video game and knew I had time for myself.
I walked upstairs to the small spare room that Mama and I shared and sank into the bed.  My eyes closed before I could kick off my shoes.  Reality merged into a dream-scape.   I saw Granny as she looked before the storm.  I watched her while she cooked my favorite gumbo.  I smelled the heavy spices and the fishy odor of crawdads mixed with the faint aroma of lavender, Granny’s favorite scent. She hummed as she often did while she stirred the large iron pot.  I called to her.  She looked at me and smiled.  “Have a taste, my darling,” she offered, extending a large spoon laden with a pungent mixture of pure Heaven!  I reached for the spoon while looking at Granny’s smiling face and saw it change.   Something about her eyes shifted.  She looked at me and whispered, “Are you ready yet?” 
“Ready for what?”I sputtered.  She looked at me or rather, through me, and smiled.  “Granny,” I began, but stopped.  I saw her fade away.  “Wait, don’t go!” I begged, but she was gone; replaced by a silvery mist.  I heard a humming akin to the sound of electricity buzzing through wires as I drifted into a deep sleep.
My sleep abruptly ended when a thunderous crashing sound rattled through my slumber.  I jumped out of bed and raced downstairs. I felt the blood drain from my face and had to struggle to stay conscious as I beheld the scene before me.  The living room looked like a battlefield.  Shelves of the bookcase, books and shattered glass lay scattered all over the living room.  The skeleton of the bookcase leaned against the couch.  Jeffery’s leg bled onto the white carpet while he sat dazed amidst the rubble.  Todd huddled in the corner crying.
As luck would have it, just then Mama and Aunt Tess walked into the house.  After the hysteria subsided the ladies tended to the twins.  Apparently, the boys decided to to fly across the room like Superman from the top of the book case.  I started picking up glass and stacking books waiting for the scolding that would assuredly follow.  When the boys and women all calmed down, all eyes turned towards me. 
“What were you thinking young lady leaving these babies alone?  We asked you to watch them.  Is this how you show responsibility?  What is the matter with you?”
I ran upstairs and slammed the door.
Later, Mama came in.  Without speaking, she sat on my bed and put her arms around me.  We both sobbed together for a long time.  “It’s going to get better, baby.  I promise.”


2 comments:

  1. Hi Fran (or do you prefer Frances?),
    I think your writing is very good. The proper use of English alone puts you ahead of 90% of the blogs I check out. I love the name of this post. When is Chapter 2 coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'm going to review chapter 2 and post it.

      Delete